Art is Our Voice

Art is Our Voice
The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web. -Pablo Picasso

Monday, March 26, 2018

Repost of an old favorite

Wanted to share an inspiring guest post from 2013 by Debbie Amylon--McAuley House volunteer.

Pathway Home-Deb Amylon

When I was young, I loved making cards for my family for every special occasion. I also loved decorating the Betty Crocker cakes I baked with designs and letters made from beautiful colored icing. When I was a little older, I got to make small mosaics from painted tiles that my mother fired in her kiln in our kitchen. Making things has always brought me a sense of peace and happiness. It is my favorite way to play.
As an adult, painting is one of the things I like to do most. When I paint, I usually get lost in the process. I have a vague idea of what I want to do, but I seem to find out about it as I go. The colors I choose express a lot about what I am feeling. The paintings I am making right now relate to qigong, a practice I am learning to help me manage chronic pain. During my qigong meditation, I have been focusing on the unfathomable size of the universe and God’s love. The images in these paintings express my feelings about my relationship to that infinite source and the healing power of love. As I practice both the active exercises and the breathing meditations, and paint the beautiful images that I imagine and remember from the past and from a future I can only anticipate, I feel a sense of peacefulness and happiness that frees me from the pain I may be experiencing in the moment. When I paint, I am able to explore these images and feelings for myself and for others to see.

Back to the Universe

Small Universe

Harmony of the Universe