Art is Our Voice

Art is Our Voice
The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web. -Pablo Picasso

Saturday, November 28, 2020

My Life, My Art

I've been asked many times over the years about the role of art in my life. Well, it's everything and everywhere-- be it in my studio or in my mind! I found this older post from some years ago that seems to be a good answer the question. Thank you Linda King for encouraging me to share my journey. 

In my studio.....

I've been making art since I was about three years old. I remember my father bringing home pads of paper from his office and I would sit on the floor drawing until I was instructed to go to bed. So- I felt pretty lucky that there seemed to be an endless amount of paper for me to play with.  My father had a set of miniature battle ships in a box from his service in the Navy during World War II. I would take one of the ships out and just look at it and then try to draw it the best I could. 
For me, art has this strong grounding quality that I feel so blessed to have in my life- even 61 years later from being that three year old child. As I like to say, " When in doubt- make art."
I don't really have one style of art that I prefer over another- just as long as I can create something- be it a journal page, a collage, or painting. I work a lot with mixed media, which I love- as the possibilities are endless with combinations of paint, paper, stencils, fabric, etc.
The art featured below is a combination of work recently completed as well as some favorite pieces from past projects.
                                                                
Mixed Media Paintings

                                                               
Below- Collages 




The art above is a collection of random drawings (doodles) that I love to do while sitting at my desk.

I'm probably best known as an abstract painter. The painting above, Finding the Spirit, was done several years ago. I wanted to create a piece of work that captured the Grace we all have within us.

As a facilitator and member of the McAuley House art program, I'm constantly inspired by my fellow artists. My group always inspires me to do better, stay strong, have faith, and trust the process.

Compassion is the keen awareness of the interconnectedness of all things  ~ Thomas Merton